Sunday, July 24, 2011

baby proofing

Even though I completely believe in baby proofing your house…

I also have this theory that if there is nothing to mess with and learn it shouldn’t be messed with at your own house; There is going to be a TON of stuff to mess with EVERYWHERE ELSE you go.

So there has to be a happy medium.  I think you should thoroughly keep things locked that could potentially hurt your child…  cleaning products, guns, breakable, anything hazardous.  However, you also need to be able to say NO to your children. 

What worked for my kids:
~When they would crawl up to something I didn’t want them messing with, I would make a loud sudden noise, ‘eh’, ‘no’, uh uh’, clap or snap, to get their attention.  You run the risk of startling them pretty good, and if you totally freaked them out, they might cry.  Sad, but it’s all about learning their lesson at this point.
~If they still make a move for it… say “No, little dude, that is not for you.” / “No, sir” / “No ma’am”…  However you are going to say the word no, just make sure you actually say the word NO.  I always shook my head when I said no to reiterate the body language/verbal combo of the word NO.

By saying no, you are verbalizing what they can and cannot do in your own home.  I feel by locking the necessary/harmful/dangerous/expensive/treasured things and teaching them lessons on the other things, you will be giving them a preview of what real life is really like!  You can’t touch EVERYTHING in real life, but you can touch some stuff.

Just don’t over babyproof your house and (hopefully) your kid will not act (as) foolish in public.  You can’t keep them in a padded bubble forever!

* keep her out of hazardous chemicals under cabinets *

* keep her out of the master bedroom during mommy/daddy time  ;-) *

* keep her out of the dishwaster. knives are usually on the bottom, people *

No comments:

Post a Comment